Every year, I pick one “growth accelerator” to focus on for my business to help bring in more traffic and grow my online sales. In 2014, it was Pinterest. In 2015, it was Instagram. And for 2016, I’m focusing on pitching the press.
My goal is to make reaching out and pitching the press part of my weekly marketing strategy. With so many different ways to potentially find new customers, I’m choosing to focus on press outreach for a few reasons:
1. Getting press gives you credibility. My jewelry isn’t cheap, and for most people, it’s not an impulse buy. Which means every time I’m asking a complete stranger to buy from my online store, I’m asking them to take a leap of faith. But when you’re mentioned in the media, it can give your business an endorsement that can help overcome reluctant buyers. This actually works in two ways. The first is, of course, when someone sees you mentioned in a publication they trust. But the second is simply being able to post logos and press mentions on your site. Those logos function as a form of social proof that can help build trust with buyers.
2. The right kind of press can create a deeper connection with your customers. My press goals for 2016 aren’t just about getting product placements. Rather, I’ll be focusing just as much of my attention on sharing more of my story, by pitching podcasts, artist profiles, and behind the scenes content (like my studio and home). This kind of press can create a much deeper connection with potential customers, and it’s that connection that people crave when they buy art and handmade goods.
3. Getting press can introduce your work to new audiences. Before doing any kind of marketing, I always encourage makers and designers to create detailed profiles of their ideal customers. And after years of doing this myself, I’ve found that my imagined customer profiles ring pretty true. But there are always outliers in your customer types, and chances are, there’s a few customer profiles you didn’t even realize. Getting press can help introduce you to a new, broader audience then you may currently be targeting.
4. Media mentions give your customers a better discovery story. Part of my marketing strategy has been, and will continue to be, running Facebook ads. Thanks to their targeting methods, Facebook ads make it easy to find my ideal customer. But who wants to tell their friends “I bought this after I was served an ad”? They’re much more likely to share your product if they found it in their favorite magazine or heard you on the new hot podcast. Plus, as you gain more press (and more fame) it gives your existing fans an opportunity to say, “I discovered her before she became famous!”
5. A good piece of press gives you a reason to reach out to your existing audience. You know you should be consistently creating content, whether that’s on your blog, social media, or emailing your list. But it can be hard to know what to say week after week. A good press mention gives you a reason to reach out to your existing audience, and it makes your existing audience more excited about your business. I can tell you from experience that one of my highest opened emails and one of my most liked Instagram posts were both the result of sharing a major piece of press I’d gotten!
There are so many ways getting press can impact your business, but to see the most impact, consistent press outreach is key. That’s why I’m making it my main marketing strategy for 2016.
It’s also why I’ve teamed up with my personal press guru, Brigitte Lyons, to create a new program called The 60 Day Press Push. I know that when it comes to pitching the media, staying accountable is a huge struggle. Whether it’s from fear of rejection or simply lack of time, it can be easy to let pitching the press fall by the wayside. Which is why Brigitte and I have created a program to make it easy to consistently send out highly targeted press mentions, week after week.
Getting more press is one of my main goals for 2016, and if it’s one of yours too, click here to learn how The 60 Day Press Push can help!!
* * * * * * * * * *
The 60 Day Press Push starts February 1st, but we’re running a special early bird discount if you register by January 10th! Click here for all the details!